So, I apologize for taking a week to post. My excuse is that last week was pretty taxing: My first week of work (9 1/2 hrs each day); a German test on Friday which took several hours; following which I was under the weather all weekend.
My first week of work was very interesting, not simply because of the work itself, but also adjusting to the way things are done in Germany. Language (as I mentioned in the previous post) is obviously a big part of the adjustment, and it seemed fitting that I got to cap off the week with a German test. There are several officially recognized levels of German language ability: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2. A1 is quite basic, but is required for non-Germans to get a residence and work permit; B1 is required of people applying for citizenship, and C2 is basically perfect German in all scenarios. A few weeks ago before getting my permit, I needed to take a quick grading test to judge my German ability and whether or not I would be forced to take a A1 test. Fortunately, I did well and did not have to write the (expensive and time-consuming) A1 test. Being a glutton for punishment, I immediately booked a B1 test which is required of immigrants who have lived in Germany for several years and wish to obtain citizenship. Although I'm not eligible to be a citizen for another 3 years, I booked the test thinking that I'd like to get it out of the way in case I ever need it. Besides, some employers like to see evidence of language abilities before they hire.
So there I was, with 12 other immigrants (mostly Turkish and Russian if you're curious) who have lived in Germany for years and taken a several-month long night course to prepare for this 3-hour test which includes listening, reading, writing and speaking. I, of course, have only been here for 3 months and did not take the course. Remember I said I'm a glutton for punishment? It was a good experience and I'm quite sure I passed... by how much, I'm not sure. I'll let you know when I get the results mailed to me.
In fairness, I did have quite a head start in the German department, what with hearing it among family sometimes and then often speaking it at home with Elena during the last 3 years. Which is actually one of the minor reasons for moving here: to improve my German. There is, however, a glitch: when I say "German", I mean what's literally called 'high German' which is to say: proper, official modern German. The problem is that the place I have moved to is the south of Baden-Württemberg province. Let me share with you the new slogan of Baden-Württemberg:
"We can do Everything. Except Speak Proper German"
No kidding.
That's because the Schwabs -- as the residents of south-western Germany are traditionally called -- are known for two things: being hard-working innovators, and having a very distinctive dialect. "Dialect" is putting it nicely. It's butchered German... but it's fun. Let me give you a comparison you can appreciate: moving to B.W. to learn High German is like trying to perfect your grasp of the Queen's English by moving to Alabama. I wish I could post a recording, it's that funny.
My work supervisor last Monday was very accomodating, and tried his best to speak High German. No such luck with the supervisor I've had since then. He's a full-blown Schwab from up in the hills (literally), who makes no attempt to mitigate his dialect. Thankfully, the dialect my family speaks is related to 'Schwäbisch' as it's called, so I can usually understand it... but I still have to stop myself from laughing. At home, Elena and my mother-in-law speak the old Schwäbisch dialect my family speaks.
So basically, the next time you see me, I will have learned a lot of German... just not proper German.
In case you wonder why I've developed a strange accent.

Thanks for making me smile! :)
ReplyDelete