Monday, 6 February 2012

The Big Freeze

 One of the things Elena and I were looking forward to was a nice, mild southern German winter. We thought we had escaped the terrible Canadian winter, but it seems that it has followed us.
If you've followed the news recently, you're already aware that Europe is experiencing temperatures far below the norm, often accompanied by huge dumpings of snow. Unfortunately, Germany has also been affected. Balingen winter temperatures usually hover just above the freezing mark, which means that when it does snow, it doesn't stay on the ground long. The mercury has stayed well below the freezing mark for the last while though, even dipping down to -22 C (-8 F). As I write this, it is -15 C (5 F) outside. Having grown up in Canada, I can deal with it of course... it all feels so disappointingly familiar. I'm pretty sure I can hear my family and friends in Canada laughing.
I must admit though, that all this snow along with the prolonged freezing temperatures in this beautiful part of Germany makes for a scenic drive. The photo above is the view from the road as I leave work in Gosheim at 4:30. My commute meanders through towns tucked into the valleys, such as Wehingen:
If you look above the car in the foreground, you can see a little white sign on the side of the building. That is the bakery I stop at every morning on my way to work. They open at 6 AM with a huge selection of fresh-baked goods, and give me good reason to look forward to my morning break and lunch. Definitely worth getting out of a warm car for.

1 comment:

  1. Now what makes you think we would laugh at the weather you are "enjoying" ((lol)) ... oops ... well, yes, I did chuckle just a bit. :) I'm not missing winter much personally, but the girls are. They enjoyed a taste of summer in Brazil over the holidays, but now they want some SNOW! And learning how to snowboard is easier with snow. Oh well ... such is life.

    ReplyDelete